in

Timiskaming Birds Forum

THE FORUM TO DISCUSS ALL THINGS AVIAN IN TIMISKAMING, ONTARIO, CANADA

Migration Monday – May 15, 2017

Last post 05-16-2017 8:40 PM by Mark Milton. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-16-2017 8:40 PM

Migration Monday – May 15, 2017

Where do I start? This migration report is late, yet again, partly because new species reports have been coming in faster than I can type… and I was sometimes using up to three fingers! So, let’s just begin with last week’s predictions.

Bobolink was first heard May 9th in Englehart by Kelly Brownlee. Mary Demarce informed me that Jean Hack had a long-awaited Ruby-throated Hummingbird in Englehart on the 12th. Veery and Least Flycatcher were reported at the Hilliardton Marsh on the 12th by Bruce, who also had Rose-breasted Grosbeak at home on Dawson Point the next day. Also on the 13th, Serge Gendron found Lincoln's Sparrow and Ovenbird in Ingram township, while Least Sandpiper and Eastern Kingbird were observed at New Liskeard’s lagoons by Mike Werner. Common Yellowthroat and Northern Waterthrush were among the birds banded by Murph and his crew at the marsh on the 15th.

I suppose I should be happy that so many of my predictions were accurate… but what of the arrivals I didn’t predict? Despite a slow start to the week, they became fast and furious: Brant, a handsome goose with a very short window of occurrence in Timiskaming during migration, were found at the New Liskeard waterfront on May 9th by both Mikes (Werner and Leahy). Orange-crowned Warbler was banded at the marsh on the 10th. I spotted a Solitary Sandpiper in the waning light of the 11th at Hill’s Lake, and had it confirmed by Serge the next day. A Cape May Warbler was found by Bruce at the marsh on the 12th (is it a sign that Murph should go to Cape May this fall for the International Bird Observatories conference?) Black Terns were back at the marsh on the 13th. Serge Gendron reported Philadelphia Vireo from Casey Marsh. Later the same day, while searching the New Liskeard lagoons for a rarity, Serge picked up Virginia Rail and Semipalmated Sandpiper.

The rarity? Mike had turned up the first Eastern Meadowlark since 2013, and only the 10th record I’m aware of in Timiskaming. On Sunday, May 14th, Mike Werner hiked into Devil’s Rock, and besides the stunning views of Lake Temiskaming, he found Blue-headed Vireo and Black-throated Green Warbler. In the early hours of the 15th, he had an Eastern Whip-poor-will calling in his yard, and later picked up Semipalmated Plover at New Liskeard’s lagoons. Murph reported Gray Catbird at the marsh on the 15th, and Serge found a Yellow Warbler near Casey Marsh.

This coming week should be another good one, with the warbler invasion set to begin in earnest. Black-throated Blue Warbler and American Redstart are among the few birds predicted last week that haven’t yet been reported. We can also expect Northern Parula, and Chestnut-sided, Magnolia, Wilson’s, Tennessee, Canada, Bay-breasted, Blackburnian, and Blackpoll Warblers. In the forest, we should look for Red-eyed Vireo, Alder Flycatcher, and Swainson’s Thrush. In wetter areas, keep an eye out for Short-billed Dowitcher and Wilson’s Phalarope. And Cedar Waxwings could show up anywhere.

Good birding, and don’t forget to report your sightings on eBird.ca or timbirds.info.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)