in

Timiskaming Birds Forum

THE FORUM TO DISCUSS ALL THINGS AVIAN IN TIMISKAMING, ONTARIO, CANADA

Hornemann Redpoll

Last post 03-14-2017 8:34 AM by joe_frechette. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-12-2017 2:13 PM

Hornemann Redpoll

Just  got eBird alert for Hornemann Redpoll at the Marsh. We have had a likely suspect here on and off for the last few weeks. I have been reporting it on Feederwatch as a Hoary but am reluctant to post on eBird without a good photo of it next to one of its smaller cousins. Here again today but not cooperating.

Had a Crow come to the heated birdbath today. It had something white about the size of a cracker but thicker. It dunked it in the water (to thaw it?) and picked it apart, eating small bits off the edges. When it was done, it had a nice little drink, cleaned its beak and took off. I was watching through the widow so I wouldn’t have heard a burp

• 03-13-2017 11:21 AM In reply to

Re: Hornemann Redpoll

I posted a couple of pics on eBird today as hoary - any opinions on whether it makes the Hornemann category? - it is definitely bigger than the other Redpolls.

• 03-14-2017 8:34 AM In reply to

Re: Hornemann Redpoll

http://www.jeaniron.ca/2015/redpollsRP.htm . here is a page I frequently refer to. to be able to take a picture of my exilipes ssp last week, I spread sunflower seeds just far enough from the window on the snow so many birds came side by side and it was much easier to take a picture.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)