in

Timiskaming Birds Forum

THE FORUM TO DISCUSS ALL THINGS AVIAN IN TIMISKAMING, ONTARIO, CANADA

Migration Monday - April 17, 2017

Last post 05-07-2017 7:30 AM by Mike Leahy. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-18-2017 6:08 AM

Migration Monday - April 17, 2017

This is being posted on behalf of the author, Mark Milton.

Our returning migrants continued last week to be mainly associated with open water, but there is some evidence that songbirds will soon take centre stage.  On the 11th, Serge Gendron was accompanying me to Hill's Lake to see if we could find the Double-crested Cormorant he had seen earlier.  Although the Cormorant had disappeared, we discovered our first Yellow-rumped Warbler!

On the 13th, Serge found finally Lesser Scaup, predicted for the last two weeks, at the New Liskeard waterfront.  The next day, Bruce Murphy spotted Bufflehead and Tree Swallows at Hilliardton Marsh, and Andrea Curran reported both Ruby-crowned and Golden-crowned Kinglets from the same location.  Vic Roach heard the characteristic call of the American Bittern from its usual hangout in Chamberlain township.  On the 15th, Vic turned up Savannah Sparrow in Chamberlain, while Bruce spotted a Belted Kingfisher while on his way to the marsh.  Serge found both Wilson's Snipe and Pied-billed Grebe at the marsh, as well as American Wigeon in Evanturel township. To round out the week, he discovered Redhead at the New Liskeard lagoons.

This week's predictions include only two ducks: Northern Shoveler and Blue-winged Teal, as well as our first Common Loon.  To that, we hope to add Rusty Blackbird and Eastern Bluebird, as well as three species of sparrow: Swamp, Chipping, and White-throated.  Please consider posting your sightings to eBird.ca or to timbirds.info.  Good birding!

• 04-22-2017 7:42 PM In reply to

Re: Migration Monday - April 17, 2017

Hi there folks, Bill Fox called me this morning (22nd) to tell me he saw a Common Loon fly over Burke's Lake yesterday..just outside of town. Also this morning (22nd) I heard a White throated sparrow. Cheers, Gert
  • 04-23-2017 1:18 PM In reply to

Hi Gert. I too had my first White-throated Sparrow on the 22nd. Not heard a Loon yet, though. Lots of stuff seemed to move in this past week, including larger numbers of the few vanguards we'ed had of some species last week. As far as I know, noone has seen a Bluebird yet, so keep a lookout for them
  • 04-25-2017 6:02 AM In reply to

This is being posted on behalf of the author, Mark Milton.

Well, I'm finally batting over .500 on my predictions, as last week saw five of my eight predicted species arrive, as well as three bonus appearances.  Casey township was the hotspot of the week, and that is where Mike Werner found the expected Rusty Blackbirds on April 18th.  The next day a very unexpected Dunlin was discovered by Serge Gendron at the New Liskeard lagoons.  I wouldn't have predicted this little shorebird until the middle of May! 

April 20th was the big day for the week, starting with the White-throated Sparrow I found scratching under my feeders in the morning.  Later in the day, Serge noted the first Eastern Phoebe in Casey township, and went on to photograph a rare Lesser Black-backed Gull on the ice off the New Liskeard waterfront.  I received a report via Gert Trudel that Bill Fox observed the year's first Common Loon at Burke's Lake near Gowganda on the 21st.  Mike Werner discovered the long-awaited Northern Shoveler at the New Liskeard lagoons on the 22nd, and rounded out the week with Swamp Sparrows on the 24th back where he started in Casey township.

The coming week isn't expected to be too busy, as we enter the lull between waterfowl returns and the flood of shorebirds and warblers in mid-May.  As well as the "late" Chipping Sparrow, Eastern Bluebird, and Blue-winged Teal, be on the lookout for Hermit Thrush, Broad-winged Hawk, American Coot, and Barn Swallow.  And don't forget to report your sightings to eBird.ca or timbirds.info to help us make these predictions ever more accurate.

by Mark Milton.

• 04-25-2017 5:34 PM In reply to

Re: Migration Monday - April 24, 2017

Title should read April 24. My fault, not Mike's!
  • 05-02-2017 10:42 AM In reply to

Re: Migration Monday - May 1, 2017

Migration Monday – May 1, 2017

Spring rolls on, and the migratory birds continue to arrive back in the boreal forest. But the first new species reported this past week isn’t a migrant at all. Mike Leahy discovered a rarely-seen resident American Three-toed Woodpecker in the burn site north of Swastika and Kirkland Lake on April 25th. The same day, Serge Gendron observed an Osprey above Hilliardton Marsh. On the 26th, Mike Leahy reported another rarity: an Indigo Bunting in Swastika, while Serge found a Hermit Thrush in Marter township, Lesser Yellowlegs in Evanturel, and a Sora at the marsh. On the 28th, I had a Chipping Sparrow on my deck in Englehart, and the following day, Jo Goddard had a Palm Warbler at Dawson Point, while Jared Taman and Kari Dalziel reported Broad-winged Hawk from their road trip from Matachewan. On the last day of April, I heard, and then saw, a Brown Thrasher at the marsh, and Mike Werner discovered the long-awaited Blue-winged Teal at the same location.

We’re still waiting for Eastern Bluebirds, although I have a second-hand report of a possible pair in Chamberlain township. The search continues for American Coot and Barn Swallow, as well. New species expected in the first week of May include Red-breasted Merganser, Spotted Sandpiper, Bonaparte’s Gull, and Ruddy Duck. Further from the water, we can hope to find Nashville Warbler and Bobolink. And although my average arrival is May 8th for Ruby-throated Hummingbird, our earliest was May 2nd, so get those feeders filled! And please remember to report your sightings to eBird.ca or timbirds.info.

• 05-07-2017 7:30 AM In reply to

More goodies in KL. An early Vesper Sparrow at Culver Park and a Lark Sparrow reported on Main Street in KL. High winds should have cleared most of the lakes that were still frozen on Friday - Watabeag and Sunny were 90% frozen with a few ducks hanging around the edges.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)