in

Timiskaming Birds Forum

THE FORUM TO DISCUSS ALL THINGS AVIAN IN TIMISKAMING, ONTARIO, CANADA

Migration Monday – June 5, 2017

Last post 06-06-2017 5:11 AM by Mike Werner. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-05-2017 8:24 PM

Migration Monday – June 5, 2017

Last week’s migration report was supposed to be the last of the season; Bruce has always said that when the Cedar Waxwings arrive, the migration is over. But it’s been a strange year, and it seems we’re not finished with new arrivals quite yet.

On May 30th, at Hilliardton Marsh, a Nelson’s Sparrow was caught and banded. This is a beautiful and uncommon bird that represents only the fourth-ever record for HMREC. And then, of course, there was my challenge to all birders to prove Mike Werner right, and make 2017 another record year by beating 2016’s total of 215 species. It seems Serge Gendron has determined to do it single-handedly if necessary. First, he pointed out that my “arrivals” list does not include two Wrens, Carolina and House, that have been reported in the district since the beginning of the year. My excuse for this is that I am missing dates for the observations, which are necessary for my records. Secondly, he has gone out and turned up no less than three rare sightings on three consecutive days. On June 3rd, he located a Warbling Vireo at New Liskeard’s sewage lagoons. The next day, he observed Timiskaming’s second-ever Red Knot at the same location. (I suppose it could be called the third-ever, as the MOTUS tower at the marsh recorded a flyover bird last summer.) And finally, today he witnessed the arrival of four American White Pelicans at the New Liskeard waterfront. For argument’s sake, if someone can provide me with dates for the Wrens, my species list for the year will jump to 208, only seven away from tying last year’s record, and making a record-breaking year much more likely. After all, we still have six months to go! Remember, this can only happen if I’m aware of new sightings… please consider trying out eBird.ca, or visit timbirds.info. Both sites will make your birding more fun and rewarding!

• 06-06-2017 5:11 AM In reply to

Re: Migration Monday – June 5, 2017

The House Wren was recorded on April 30th. The observation is entered into eBird, but has not been made public yet as it is still under review.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)